The Ten Week Challenge Syllabus

I walked people through a ten week challenge, using the following syllabus.

Week 1 - Sugar-free
Week 2 - Whole grains
Week 3 - Wild-caught fish and grass-fed meats
Week 4 - Raw dairy
Week 5 - The microwave
Week 6 - Fats and oils
Week 7 - Cultured and fermented foods
Week 8 - Local and organic produce
Week 9 - Processed foods
Week 10 - Implementing lifestyle changes

Visit my Recipe Index over at Going Green in a Pink World.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Hump Day Exercise Challenge

I slacked on my exercise challenge last week...and maybe the week before that too. But you'll forgive me, won't you? I've been doing Zumba at the gym, with a new instructor on Tuesday evenings. It's so invigorating. I think all of the women in the room (and that old, creep guy, too!) feel young, strong, and sexy. In a non-exploitative way. It's an hour of letting loose to fun music, shaking your butt, and twisting those hips like you mean it: all for the sake of a good workout. There are times when I've almost been brought to tears just looking around the room and watching short women, tall women, skinny ones, fat ones, young ones, old ones, brown and white, yellow and tan ones, coming together without shame, with plenty of grace and smiles for all. So if you can't dance, don't worry. Most of the people in the class move to the beat of a different...song. Seriously. Sometimes I have to stifle my giggles as I watch some of the middle aged women trying to do those "hip gyrations" as my mother would say. Not that I'm much better...Suffice it to say, this is not a class of dancers!

If you have access to a gym that offers Zumba classes, you should definitely give it a try. Sometimes you can find Zumba on those extra cable channels that we don't have, so I can't exactly give you more info than that. You can find some workouts online if you search for "zumba" under the video tab in google. But the best place for a good workout might just be in the audiovisual section of your local, free library! Get moving!

A 2007 segment on The Today Show's "Take it Off Today" featured the Zumba craze.


Zumba in the Today Show -

No comments:

Post a Comment