The Ten Week Challenge Syllabus

I walked people through a ten week challenge, using the following syllabus.

Week 1 - Sugar-free
Week 2 - Whole grains
Week 3 - Wild-caught fish and grass-fed meats
Week 4 - Raw dairy
Week 5 - The microwave
Week 6 - Fats and oils
Week 7 - Cultured and fermented foods
Week 8 - Local and organic produce
Week 9 - Processed foods
Week 10 - Implementing lifestyle changes

Visit my Recipe Index over at Going Green in a Pink World.

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Bonus Recipe: Pastured Eggnog

I've been dying for some good eggnog, but didn't dare make it with commercial eggs, or even the Eggland's Best. I wanted local eggs from chickens I have SEEN (or at least someone I know has seen). Yesterday, I picked up three dozens of such eggs, and tonight, I am sipping a glass of eggnog! I was in awe of the eggs while making this drink. As I separated the yolk from the white, I had a firm orange ball in my hand - the sign of a highly nutritious egg. I felt like I could play basketball with this thing! In the last post I mentioned that egg yolks contain so many nutrients, from protein and iron to zinc and phosphorus, and pastured eggs contain twice as much vitamin E and 40% more vitamin A!


I wouldn't recommend this recipe to anyone who doesn't have access to very fresh eggs. Check out Local Harvest to find some fresh eggs near you, or ask around your local health food store!

For one serving:
1 1/4 cups (preferably) raw whole milk or combination of milk and cream
2 egg yolks from free running chickens, raw
1 tsp vanilla
dash of salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 T maple syrup or honey

Combine in blender! You can add some ice cubes for a bit of texture and coldness.

No comments:

Post a Comment