The Ten Week Challenge Syllabus

I walked people through a ten week challenge, using the following syllabus.

Week 1 - Sugar-free
Week 2 - Whole grains
Week 3 - Wild-caught fish and grass-fed meats
Week 4 - Raw dairy
Week 5 - The microwave
Week 6 - Fats and oils
Week 7 - Cultured and fermented foods
Week 8 - Local and organic produce
Week 9 - Processed foods
Week 10 - Implementing lifestyle changes

Visit my Recipe Index over at Going Green in a Pink World.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Week 2: Grains 202

I promised some arguments for phytates, and yet not having a computer has been quite a challenge for me. So for now, here is some reading for you.

Sue Becker, bread baker extraodinaire, writes a compelling article from which I stole the phrase - Phytic acid - friend or foe?

I also found this Suite101 article which has similiar information to the Becker article:

"Phytates may Prevent Cancer and Lower Cholesterol

While iron is a crucial need of the body, it is also a powerful oxidant. Phytates are thought to exhibit antioxidant properties by sequestering this iron before it can be involved in damaging processes -especially in the colon. Phytates appear to inhibit tumor formation, and even cause cancerous cells to revert back to their former types. They may also improve the effectiveness of chemotherapy drugs when taken together. Phytates and green tea (Camellia sinensis) have a synergistic effect against select cancers when taken together. Phytates have been shown to reduce the digestion of starch by at least 50% and reduce the overall glycemic index of other foods they are eaten with. They also decrease cholesterol and triglyceride production by the liver."

Decision Making Time

So, hopefully you feel informed enough to make your own decision about phytic acid and its affects on the body. I, for one, will be soaking when I can, and not worrying about it for those times when I just can't! I know my diet is nutrient rich, but I believe I can get even more out of my grains by soaking and/or germinating them. In addition to reducing phytates and rendering those minerals more absorbent, we're increasing B vitamins! (You know, those feel-good, "happy" vitamins?!)

Putting it into Practice
Right now, I have two big bowls in my kitchen - one of oats and 5 other grains, soaking in water and yogurt for granola, and another of oats and a few T of wheat soaking in water and yogurt for baked oatmeal. I'll be baking bread tonight without any soaking though, (a long rise time will also reduce phytates) and am almost done single handedly eating the bread I made from Lindsay's recipe at Passionate Homemaking!

What is the general consensus??

No comments:

Post a Comment